New to Newcastle - Students
Being a student in Newcastle can be amazing. It’s a city with a real buzz. Diverse, energetic and fun. There’s lots to do.
Of course it can also be a little nerve-racking. Not knowing many people; getting lost in a city you don’t know; being away from home for possibly the first time; having to cook your own meals (super noodles work great!); iron your own clothes. It all makes for a great time of learning and growing.
Your time at university is also an amazing opportunity to grow in your knowledge and love of God. And so getting stuck into a local Church is a great thing to do.
We'd love you to pay us a visit.
Christ Church Heaton: Heaton Methodist Church Hall, Simonside Terrace, NE6 5JX
Christ Church Gosforth: Newcastle School for Boys Senior Site, 34 The Grove, NE3 1NH
You can find out a little more about us in the sections below:
- Christ Church Newcastle is a network of churches seeking to make Jesus known across Newcastle. We have students attending our congregations in Heaton (east side of the city) and Gosforth, (north of the city).
- We think in terms of Word, Community, Mission. This means that the Bible is taught week by week, as we want the Word of God, by the Spirit of God, to shape everything we do at Christ Church. It means that, particularly through homegroups, we seek to love and care for one another throughout the week. And we work hard to be a Church on mission, longing to make Jesus known throughout our city, and beyond!
- We are affiliated with the North East Gospel Partnership, FIEC and the Acts 29 church planting network. For more info and a list of our trustees click here.
- Our hope for students is that they will be fully part of our regular church family. This means getting involved in weekly homegroups, serving in various ways, attending church events, and generally being part of anything that goes on. We have a student link-up team who help students to settle in and quickly become active members of church life.
- We also offer every student the opportunity to study the bible one-to-one with an older Christian. Studying the Bible one-to-one is a great way to grow. For more information and to set up a one-to-one please contact .
- Each term we tend to run something aimed at students. This may be a social event, but we also use these opportunites to help you tackle a big issue or topic that you face in your context.
The student link up team exists to help you integrate into the life of Christ Church. The team is made up of Ric & Maja Flynn, Dave & Charli Matthew and Luke Parker. To get in touch, you can or grab them on a sunday morning to chat more.
Dave & Charli Matthew
How Will I Serve?
- The main way we serve is by being commited to one another through our mid-week Homegroups. Homegroups are essential to life at Christ Church, and we'd encourage you to join one. They are locally based groups of around 15 people, meeting throughout the week, committed to Word, Community and Mission. Studying God’s word with a great range of other Church members is fantastic to support, challenge and encourage one another to live lives honouring God; and we urge our students to be involved in that. If you have any questions about Homegroups please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are other ways to serve as well. On a Sunday there is lots to be done: setting up the rooms, providing sound tech, serving refreshments, teaching kids the Bible.
- We consider every member of Christ Church to be on mission together; we want to be spreading God's word to His world, wherever He has placed us. As a student that might mean being actively involved in campus outreach events, getting to know and love the people around you, and speaking gospel truth to your coursemates, sports mates and hall mates.
Why Join a Church?
- Because God commands it. Hebrews 10:24, 25 says: 'let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching'.
- Because being part of a church family enables us to love others at various ages and stages and to work together in building God's kingdom before Jesus returns.
- Because university can be a hard time, with so much being unfamiliar. All the more reason to keep meeting with God's people to spur one another on, day by day, in whatever life may hold.
"I chose Christ Church because of the church family, the teaching and the opportunities to serve. I was immediately welcomed in and felt like part of the church family within my first few weeks there, especially in my home group. I enjoy the fact that our sermons go through books in the bible to great detail, and we invest more time in understanding who God is and what He has done through His word in home groups. And there are so many opportunities to serve at Christchurch - it's another great way to get to know and spend more time with the church family."
Wango, recent graduate of Newcastle uni and member of Christ Church Heaton. See his story below..